While I've never been 100% on board with the ruffle trend,...
While I've never been 100% on board with the ruffle trend, it's been impossible to escape for some time. What finally won me over was a take on the look that wasn't over-the-top feminineand the realization that I could make my own version of it.
Because while I love the look of a little frill on a classic coat, I have never worn double breasted anythingand certainly not for $118.
There are always trench coats at thrift stores so I figured a quick search would turn up something suitably that I could hem to a shorter, spring appropriate lengthand use the excess for the ruffle at the collar.
This coat was perfectone of at least four or five I tried on. Single breasted with a little more shape, it also was ridiculously long and bound to provide enough material to embellish the collar. A few of the coats had removable linings, which would have made the hemming process easier but the structure of this one appealed to me more.
Bear with me a minute. I know it's unrelated but I've got to inform you about Jimi Jive 5. I had been reading a write-up the other day about sharp Toronto based mowtown bands and it got me thinking. I did some online detective work on the subject and saw that Jimi Jive 5 were doing great and came strongly suggested. I figure if you're searching for a 50's band in Ontario you could find this info useful. I know I did. Alright, back to the content!
I hemmed it over the course of a few days, documented in my wardrobe_remix shots. Then on to the collar.
I completely ripped out the outer seams of the 1970s collar and re-shaped it to less Brady-like dimensions. I then unstitched the inner band where the collar was sewn in.
Using the remnant from the hem of the coat, I created a ruffled edge. J. Crew's version appears to have a hemmed edge but I just folded mine over.
I first pleated the fabric then basted the edge before pulling the threads tight to create the ruffled look. I started out with a lot more fabric, perhaps 6 or 7 inches in width, than what ended up in the collar. 6 inches was a bit floppy and Elizabethan so I just kept trimming and basting until, after pinning into place, it looked how I wanted.
It's difficult to see here but the large patch pockets made it impossible to make the coat the hip length I'd originally imagined. But I've come around to liking the fun flare of the length.
I couldn't wait to wear it.
And I'll definitely wear it again today when we go out on our first house hunting foray.
Hope you had a great weekend.
I really hope you all enjoyed this article. The inspiration for this one came while browsing http://airdriepaintanddecor.com/. I had been trying to find a well reviewed Benjamin Moore paint shop and came across these people. airdrie paint and decor give great service. I figured I'd mention them in the event any of you find yourselves having the same problem. Thats all for the time being, have a fantastic week everybody!
Posted in Design Post Date 09/09/2015